If your houseplants are looking like they need a lift, here are five tips
that'll get them looking and feeling better in no time:
1. If your plants have dusty leaves, give them a shower. I'm lucky enough to
have a sprayer on my kitchen sink to do this with ease. If you don't have a
sprayer, give them a shower in your shower or tub. Doing this will automatically
improve the health of the plant and make it look a lot better.
2. Cut off any dead or diseased foliage. This will help the plant put its
energy into its health rather than repairing itself. You will be amazed at the
difference this makes.
3. If you see roots growing through the holes in the bottom of the container,
it's time to re-pot it. Simply pot the plant in the next size up container
filling in the gaps with a good potting soil.
4. One of the best tips I have ever learned about houseplants is about
watering. It is very simple and following it makes sure you don't over- or
under-water. To check if your plant needs watering, simply poke your finger into the
top inch or so of potting soil. If you feel moisture, don't water. If you don't
feel any moisture, water.
5. Fertilize with a diluted fertilizer at each watering rather than what's
recommended on the package. Use about 1/4 the amount of fertilizer that the
directions call for. This will ensure that you are fertilizing enough.
Follow these five tips and you'll be amazed at how healthy and vibrant your
plants will look.
Reprinted with permission.
on this article or submit your tip to CreativeHomemaking.com.
for a printer friendly version of this page.
Follow me on Pinterest
Receive new article links via Twitter
Follow Creative Homemaking on Facebook
this article to a friend!
our article archives.
to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.