This is a great recipe for a special breakfast or brunch! Lots of
3 C sifted all-purpose flour (or part whole wheat flour)
4 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar (optional)
1 tsp salt
4 egg yolks, beaten
4 egg whites beaten until stiff
1 1/2 to 2 C sweet milk or buttermilk
4 T melted butter
Sift dry ingredients together. Beat egg yolks until light and add
the milk and melted butter. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold
in beaten egg whites. Bake in a hot waffle iron. Makes about a
- Put the waffle batter into a pitcher. It is much easer to pour
- Don't overfill waffle compartments or the batter runs out on
the sides of the waffle iron.
- Waffles are done when there is no more steam rising from the
- After cooling, freeze extra waffles in a plastic freezer bag.
Separate with wax paper before freezing.
1. Apple Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry
ingredients. Add a cup of chopped, peeled apple to batter. Serve
with warm applesauce & sour cream.
2. Bacon Waffles - Crumble a few slices of cooked, drained &
crumbled bacon into the batter.
3. Banana Waffles - Add a chopped banana to the batter.
4. Blueberry Waffles - Add 1-cup fresh or frozen
blueberries(thawed & drained).
5. Chocolate Waffles - Increase sugar to 1/3 cup and add 1 square
melted unsweetened chocolate OR add 1/2-cup cocoa and a 1/3-cup
sugar to dry ingredients. Serve with whipped cream and chopped
6. Cinnamon Raisin Waffles - Add a teaspoon cinnamon and a
couple spoonfuls of plumped raisins to the batter.
7. Ham Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of diced ham to the
batter. Sauté it first for better flavor.
8. Molasses Spice Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a
1/2-teaspoon of nutmeg to dry ingredients. Add 3 tablespoons of
molasses to liquid ingredients.
9. Nutty Waffles - Add 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, pecans, walnuts
or filberts. Toast the nuts for better flavor!
10. Orange Zest Waffles - Add a tablespoon orange zest to batter.
Substitute 1/2 cup orange juice for 1/2-cup milk.
11. Pineapple Waffles - Add a cup of well-drained crushed
pineapple to the batter.
12. Sausage Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of cooked,
crumbled and drained sausage to the batter.
Leslie Sausage lives with her husband in rural Texas. She is the
mom of four grown children, a freelance writer and an elementary
school teacher! For creative, practical and fun ideas please
visit her web site at http://www.heart4home.net.