The best thing about contemporary bathrooms is that space doesnít really matter. If you pair things well, you can reap the benefits of a contemporary style even in minimal space. Besides, it has real class and elegance to its feel and so, even with a few thoughtful alterations, you can raise your style quotient considerably.
Points to Remember
- Neutral or pastel shades add to a feeling of relaxation and also enhance an airy and open look.
- Most contemporary themes dwell on fresh designs on neat and sleek finishes. Making the room warm, cheerful and welcoming is the main idea.
- Lines are no longer boring. Straight and simple designs with neat lines should be aimed for. Like a rectangular wall mounted vanity unit corresponding to a horizontal radiator.
- Lighting away from the shower and tub is a must if you want to go completely contemporary.
- Metallic finishes and warm wood shades like walnut go well with this look. One piece toilets too lend charm.
- Mirrors can be straight rectangles with broad silver rims or horizontally placed rectangles without rims. To accentuate this look into something new you can mount a vanity unit beside the mirror to break the linearity. Or contrast the silvery mirror with your vanity unit and basin colour.
- Natural and bold colours are best when blended. The bolder shades will draw emphasis while the more neutral ones will be an interesting backdrop. White and black is popular with lime yellow, grassy green and even hot pinks. Others schemes are a mix of yellow, red, purple and ivory or the classic red, white, grey and black.
- When decorating, try to maintain a single main colour per piece so as not to deflect attention.
The Bath and Shower
If a shower enclosure is too space consuming, try opting for an overhead shower and a bath with a screen although walk -in shower enclosures arenít so space eating. You can even go for a thermostatic valve thatíll give you an action-packed shower.
Not all people like rectangular baths. If you want some funky innovation, try the pear-shaped range of standalone baths. You can even surround it with muslin drapes to add a feel of privacy and luxury.
Chrome wall mounted taps add to the contemporary look and also give you a clean and neat finish.
Basins and Vanity Units
While marble stand basins look good, spa effects can be brought in by a countertop curved basin that looks the picture of elegance. You can even install two such basins side-by-side on a vanity shelf if you rather save space and yet not curb the luxurious feel. Wall mounted chrome taps or lever handled ones add glamour to the finish.
Go for a vanity unit that can hold a basin and eliminate clutter as well. Warm finishing in walnut hues is popular especially in pale white and black co-ordinate bathrooms. They lend a Victorian feel as well.
When dealing with mirrors, try a more linear variety with illumination. Fluffy towels and tea light candles add to the comfort level. The panel or vertical designer radiators too can heat up your bathroom as well as provide a bold coloured design to a light coloured and plain bathroom wall.
on this article or submit your tip to CreativeHomemaking.com.
for a printer friendly version of this page.
Follow me on Pinterest
Receive new article links via Twitter
Follow Creative Homemaking on Facebook
this article to a friend!
our article archives.
to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.