Your bed is the centrepiece of your bedroom so itís important that it has the right look as well as being comfortable. Whether youíre looking for a single bed, a double bed or a king-size bed, there are many different styles, mattress types and comfort levels to choose from.
Types of Beds
- Single Beds - A good-quality single bed with a supportive mattress is important for children and teenagers. The better they sleep, the better they are likely to perform at school.
- Double Beds - A comfortable double bed is essential for a restful night. Studies show that sleeping well can keep you healthier and help you live longer.
- King-Size Beds - If you prefer space to move around, a king size mattress is the best option, especially if you sleep with a partner.
There are two main options when deciding on the style of your bed: a divan base or a bed frame.
- Divan Bed - A divan bed has a solid base to support your mattress. Most divan beds have the option of additional storage, either through drawers or sliding doors. If youíre thinking of buying a storage bed, youíll need to think about where it will be placed in your bedroom. For example, if itís kept against the wall, you wonít have easy access to drawers on that side of the bed.
- Bed Frame - Bed frames might be traditional wooden beds, metal frames with a mesh or slatted base, or made out of leather.
A leather bed frame will add an element of luxury to your bedroom. Some leather beds have storage drawers or space for under-bed storage underneath. Itís also possible to find ottoman-style leather bed frames, which lift up from the end of the bed to provide extra storage.
Wooden frame beds and metal frame beds are hardwearing and practical and will last you for years, although you should change your mattress every seven years. Most UK mattresses come in standard sizes so it shouldnít be difficult to find a replacement mattress to fit.
Memory foam mattresses are a popular option as they mould to your body to support you while you sleep and they are available in all sizes to fit a single bed, a double bed or a king-size bed.
Latex mattresses are an alternative to memory foam. As latex is a natural material, these mattresses are hypoallergenic, anti bacterial and dust mite resistant, so perfect for anyone who suffers from allergies.
Open-coil mattresses and pocket-sprung mattresses vary in price but you tend to get what you pay for. The higher the spring count, the better the support, and the higher the quality of the fillings, the more comfortably youíll sleep.
If youíd like to know more about how to choose the perfect bed, the friendly experts at Furniture Choice will be happy to help. Furniture Choice has an extensive range of single, double and king-size beds and mattresses to help you get the best nightís sleep. Contact Furniture Choice on 0800 075 0300.
on this article or submit your tip to CreativeHomemaking.com.
for a printer friendly version of this page.
Follow me on Pinterest
Receive new article links via Twitter
Follow Creative Homemaking on Facebook
this article to a friend!
our article archives.
to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.