One of the most expensive but most important parts of your kitchen are the cabinets. When you are looking to buy a new home, in fact, one of the things that can be a real deal-breaker is the state of the kitchen cabinets. Simple wear and tear can destroy them, and you can end up with doors hanging off, doors that donít open, or cabinets that look scruffy and dirty even after you have scrubbed them. The problem is that it is not so easy to replace them because it can cost a lot of money and take up a lot of time.
So how can you update and improve your kitchen cabinets without expending too much time and effort?
One way is to simply replace the damaged doors. If you can afford it, you can ask a carpenter to refit new wooden doors, but keeping the body and shelves of the original cabinet as they are. If this is not possible, here are some other easy options that will jazz up the look of your kitchen without you needing to break the bank:
- Fit glass doors to your cabinets. Glass doors are easy to clean, and you can even install them yourself. Remove wooden panels and replace with sheets of glass. You can choose from a variety of styles and get them cut to fit the size of the doors. Attach them carefully with glazing putty and points.
- Glass doors can make a kitchen look neat and you will also be able to see what is in your cabinets very easily.
- If the actual drawers and cupboards are still in sound condition but just look a little drab, consider changing all the knobs and handles. You can choose whatever style you like, conforming to a specific style, color, or design. New fittings can make a kitchen look new with relatively little effort or expense.
- Another way to update and spice up your kitchen is to remove the doors of the cabinets completely. Add baskets to the existing shelves, which will make the storage of certain items far easier. If you decide to do this, make sure to remove old hinges and nails and fill in any holes or defects left behind. You can even add some decorative inlay bands to jazz up the look of the cabinets.
- If amateur carpentry really is your hobby, you may consider adding sliding shelves to your cabinet, especially if the existing shelving has worn loose and become very wobbly. Sliding shelves make accessing your utensils somewhat easier, as well as adding an unusual touch to your kitchen. You may also find that you can store more items, if you add the shelves properly.
When you are done treat yourself to a new area rug for the floor, oval rugs always looks great and adds a touch of class to any kitchen.
These relatively simple ideas can update your kitchen and give it some more years of life. You can save a lot of time and money this way, and really feel that you have made a very important contribution to decorating your home.
on this article or submit your tip to CreativeHomemaking.com.
for a printer friendly version of this page.
Follow me on Pinterest
Receive new article links via Twitter
Follow Creative Homemaking on Facebook
this article to a friend!
our article archives.
to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.