I had a huge pile of clothes ON TOP of my dresser! That's right, I said ON
TOP. Why? Because all my summer clothes were out, all my warm clothes were
out, all my clothes waiting until I lose weight were out and I had just
purchased a new outfit to add to the pile; there simply wasn't enough room in my
dresser drawers for all those clothes! I have to admit that things had gotten away
This resulted in numerous problems as you could imagine. For one thing, it
was very hard to see all the choices my clothing offered when looking for
something to wear... I was limited to the top of the pile unless I wanted to dig...
and who wants to dig?? It also resulted in a lot more work since clothes
would fall to the floor and sometimes get stepped on then had to be re-washed.
Not to mention that the pile was an eyesore to my bedroom.
So, I decided it was high time to do something about it! I began by sorting
the clothes into 3 piles.
Pile 1 was clothes that I planned on storing away for future use. It
included my summer clothes (tank tops & shorts) that I really love and some of the
clothes that are too small for me right now (I did my best to get rid of a lot
of them, but some were just too pretty to get rid of).
Pile 2 was clothes I planned on giving away. It included clothes I hadn't
worn in a long time because I wasn't enthusiastic about them. I have limited
space and I don't want to use it up on things I don't absolutely love!
Pile 3 was clothes I planned on currently keeping in my dresser. It included
all clothes that I would wear from Fall through Spring; all that fit and that
When I was finished sorting, I packed the clothes I planned on storing into 1
large lidded plastic storage bin and put it away. Then I put the clothes I
planned on giving away into plastic grocery bags so I could put them into a
'Free Box' near the front sidewalk.
Then I designated my dresser drawers to certain types of clothing. For
example, 1 drawer was for jeans & pants, another for underwear, another for shirts,
etc., then I put the clothes that I wanted to keep away in the appropriate
drawers. I was happy to find that they all fit with room to spare! The top of
my dresser was also cleared off so I had room to add a few decorations. What
Reprinted with permission.
on this article or submit your tip to CreativeHomemaking.com.
for a printer friendly version of this page.
Follow me on Pinterest
Receive new article links via Twitter
Follow Creative Homemaking on Facebook
this article to a friend!
our article archives.
to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.